- This event has passed.
Marineland Beach Walk
September 28, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am| Free
Join us on September 28th at 9am for the Marineland Beach Walk. See the changes wrought by Hurricane Matthew. Every beach has its own story to tell. Why is the sand fine or coarse and how did it get its color? Which shells landed on this beach? Are there any shark’s teeth? Get to know the beach in an entirely new way. An interpretive guide will tell you about everything from shore birds to coquina rocks and the flowers blooming along the dunes. Bring your camera for a likely shot of one of the dune’s resident gopher tortoises.
Meet your guide at the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve Marineland Field Office on the west side of A1A, located at 9741 Ocean Shore Blvd., the southern end of the Town of Marineland.
- Do I need a reservation to attend? Yes, please register online by following the links provided above.
- If I can’t make it, how do I cancel my reservation? Upon making the reservation you should have received an email confirmation. There is information about canceling within the email. Since a lot of our guided family programs are full, we strongly encourage you to cancel (as opposed to just not showing up) so that we may accommodate another person/family.
- What should I wear? Please wear clothing that is appropriate for outdoors. It’s always recommended to dress in layers and prepare for any type of weather. We strongly encourage that you wear closed-toe shoes, and strongly discourage wearing flip-flops. You will be walking on the sandy beach.
- How long is the walk? Round trip, the walk is a bit more than half a mile. The walk takes about 1.5 hours.
- Can I bring my dog? You are welcome to bring your dog. Please keep in mind that all dogs must remain on a leash, and all waste must be promptly cleaned by the owner. Please be mindful of other visitors when bringing a dog.
- What should I bring? Please bring a reusable water bottle (that can be filled up at the Pavilion), insect repellent, sunscreen (strongly recommended), and binoculars/camera.
- Where should I meet my guide? CLICK HERE for a Google Map. Your guide will be waiting at the GTM Research Reserve Marineland Office off of A1A 15 minutes prior to the scheduled hike. The walk begins at 9:00 a.m.
- What will I learn from this? Learn from a GTM Research Reserve interpretive guide where the restless sand comes from and where it’s going in its refusal to just stay put. Ask why the sand is fine or coarse and how it got its color. Learn about coquina rocks, dune flowers, sea birds, shells and the humble gopher tortoise who digs deep burrows and comes out to dine on prickly pears along the dunes.
- Are there any fees? No.
- Is there anything else to see afterwards? You’re welcome to stay at the beach longer and collect shells, swim in the ocean, or lay in the sun- have a family day!